



**Renton Fish and Game Club minutes for March 4<sup>th</sup>, 2021**

**Call to Order:** Ted Pitt called the meeting to order at 7:00PM.

Directors and Officers attendance:

Directors	Present	Absent	Excused
Chairman: Ted Pitt	√		
Vice Chairman: Robb Wolfe	√		
Georgia Coulter	√		
LaMarr Hood	√		
Karen Jennings	√		
Scott Johnson	√		
John Palmer	√		
Diana Pinto	√		
Steve Traverso			√
Treasurer: Aushim Sarkar	√		
Game Warden: John Palmer	√		
Secretary: Robb Wolfe	√		

**Announcements:**

- 1) MSP (Motion Second and Passed) by Karen, seconded by John to approve the minutes, as revised for February.
- 2) At the February 15<sup>th</sup> Officers and Directors meeting:
  - a) Budgets were approved.
  - b) Proposal to allow electronic payments for select disciplines  
MSP to test the process with Precision Rimfire
  - c) Audit request – Georgia will talk to Mike our CPA. Karen will also get estimates.

## **Standing Committee Reports:**

### **Archery, Ted Pitt:**

Archery all is good

### **Trap & Skeet Ted Pitt:**

Shotgun: getting targets Friday. People are shooting a lot.

Bunker is going well. Microphone repairs are done for the bunker; repaired bad wires and upgraded mics. We have our first shoot in April, the April Fools shoot.

### **Rifle and Pistol, Steve Traverso:**

863 members this last month.

We received two cases of 9mm with one box missing. All the ammo sold out in two days. We are out of ammo and low on targets again.

### **Grounds: LaMarr Hood:**

This month the crew just tried to keep up.

The maple and fir tree on the south fence line that were a concern were removed. Extra holes were drilled into the floor of trap 1 to help the draining. We finished cleaning up bays 6 & 7, removed brush and stump at the back of bay 5, removed an old stump next the portable rest rooms, cleaned up the limbs from the tree that wiped out Steve's truck, also removed that and another stump across the road. Two days were spent clearing snow, and we still kept up with target backers, repairing staple guns, filled in port holes and general cleanup of the R & P range buildings including other small dead trees and brush around the range.

Discipline Chairs need to check with the BOD or Action bay Chair before they or members bring or allow things brought into the range to be stored and/or not used. I refer to things like the big wooden spool that used to set in the action bay and old lawn mowers, tires and just plain junk.

### **Hunter Education, Gary Emerson:**

No in person classes allowed yet.

All classes are entirely on line until further notice.

### **Conservation, Gary Emerson:**

No plants purchased due to all were sold out when I tried to place my order

**Kids Day, Greg Fortin:**

No Kids Day event in March.

First event this year is scheduled for May 16th, unless BOD tells me otherwise.

Schedule is posted at shotgun and rifle/pistol ranges.

WAC newsletter will begin advertising now.

Changes/Cancellations can be handled as we go, if needed.

**Scholastic Clay Target Program, Bob Louser:**

Just practice but meets are starting next weekend so will have more news next month.

**Steel Dragons, Tim Ralston**

Our 2021 Season begins Monday March 15<sup>th</sup> with a parent and athlete orientation meeting at 5:00 here at the range in the action bays. The season concludes the end of July after the National tournament in Columbus Ohio. We are taking some squads to compete.

We currently have 35 kids on the roster, which is a large team, one of the largest in the country. We've recruited 8 coaches to help. There are training requirements, and each coach volunteer has completed the "books" portion of the SASP training, and now we need to complete the "field day" portion. I'm arranging that with SASP, who will likely fly their instructor here to conduct the training. No date yet.

We've been asked to host the WA State tournament. We will very need two days for the tournament. Timeframe is end of May or June. We'll need to look at the action bay schedule to see if this is possible....not sure we can work in.

*Robb asked them to consider June 12<sup>th</sup> as an option (cancel the ASI match).*

Regarding the range grant, I've put a down payment on a Conex container, and am awaiting a call to walk the yard to pick one – probably next week. Strong likelihood it will be a 40'. We've also purchased 4 good quality popup canopies for cover from rain and this closes the resources from the range grant.

Thanks to all who are supporting the team and helping with the action bay improvements.

**Cowboy, Derek Mirkle**

Our February matches were held on the 6th and 7th. The weather was very cooperative, being dry and relatively warm for the season I commented both days that I'd take this kind of February weather every year.

We had a total of 18 shooters on Saturday, three of whom managed to shoot the match clean, Jimmy Slick, Rawhide Rhodes (Harold Rhodes), and Kodachrome Kid (Chuck Ropel). Our top three finishers were: R. P. Dodge (Richard Otto) Third place, Slick Gorch (Craig Wirfs), Second place, and Lawbreaker (Tim Thibert) was our fastest Cowboy of the day.

Sunday, we had 13 folks come out to slay steel bad guys, and two Pardes managed clean matches, Jed I. Knight (Kirk Bell) & Aldo Bridger. Our fastest gunslingers of the day were: Bjorn E Ville (Eric Simonson) took home Third place honors, Jus Nobody (Barry Turner), carved out a Second-place notch on his gun, and Mountain Man Dan (Dan Holm) was the fastest man in RUCAS territory on this day.

I want to add a special thank you to G.D. Rattler (Bill Hanson) for donating a new lock for our Conex all set up with our combination, since our old one decided to fall apart!

There were no DQ's, or other safety penalties for the weekend. \$260.00 was turned into the Club.

Our next matches will be March 6th & 7th. We will be holding a WESTMATCH meeting in the classroom after the Saturday match.

The SASS RO classes held on Feb. 27th & 28th went very well. All students stayed alert, involved and engaged with the course materials and instructors. All participants, refreshing and new said they enjoyed the classes and the instructors. We ended up certifying 4 new RO I's and 10 new RO II's and refreshing 5 previously certified RO's. The instructors even managed to pound some new stuff into my thick skull!

**Civilian Marksmanship Program (CMP), Don Miller:**

We held our second for 2021, CMP rifle match, Feb. 27... It was cold and a little foggy at first, but all firing was complete before the family of deer showed up on the range. Proceeds to the Club were \$101.00. The next match will be on March 27th

**Precision Rimfire, Josh Harney and Victor Vuong:**

Match canceled due to snow, no report to give

**IDPA, Scott Johnson / Robb Wolfe:**

Stages: 7

Shooters: 61

DQ: 0

MD: Tim Smith

Registration: Deanna Atkinson

Total Net Revenue: \$905

**SAFETY ISSUES:** Regarding Covid-19 pandemic, social distancing was encouraged, masks were worn as needed, and hand sanitizer was added to buckets and distributed around the range.

**ANNOUNCEMENTS:** New tape guns were introduced and demonstrated. They are much easier to use, no moving parts like the old tape guns. We also have new tablets. The master has the black cover the others all have blue covers. Not all were charged enough for use this match so some of the old tablets were also used.

**USPSA, Dave McClure:** Marcel Englmaier reported:

This was another out-of-series classifier event like we ran in November. We adjusted stages for speed and setup around the Black Rifle event on Saturday and Cowboys using bays 6 & 7 for an RO class. Normal USPSA activities will return in March under Dave's leadership

We got the new AMGLab timers and ran those along with the new tablets. They worked spectacularly!

We knew setup would be an issue with Black Rifle running in bays 1-3, so we planned accordingly. I had coordinated a small setup crew, some of which were allowed to participate in Black Rifle with me before we did setup, however some who I had not planned on showing up did show up out of the blue and had to wait around. This was their fault as I intentionally didn't ask for setup help outside of the small crew knowing we had to coordinate timewise.

Compliant: The Cowboys were not to be found all day both days, even though they apparently had 6&7 reserved, which we could have used for more stages, though I'm happy we didn't; the match went very quickly.

*Response from Derek: I had reserved the bays for both days, because I wasn't sure when we'd be running the practical portion of the RO exams. As it turned out we only used Bay 6 on Sunday afternoon for about 2 hours. I apologize for any inconvenience this may have caused Marcel and his folks.*

Additionally, this is the first match where we used online-only payments through Stripe during registration on Practiscore. It seemed to work rather well; however, we don't yet have a mechanism for discounting for Mil & Renton members. Same thing for working ROs and setup crew. I ended up issuing refunds through PS to those people with corrected amounts (\$5 refund to mil/renton, \$10 to RO, full refund to setup crew). This worked; however, I need to figure out how to streamline this so people don't just walk up to me randomly and hope I remember their names, probably with an option during signup.

Details:

Stages: 5

Shooters: 38

Setup Crew: 9 (this would be a record in the past year for us)

Non-refundable no-shows: 1. These would be people who paid, then missed the cutoff to get a refund (minus stripe fees) and didn't show up. We thank them for their donation!

DQ: 1 (details below)

MD: Marcel Englmaier

Financials: Using the new online system, I do not have a full total of what we actually brought in, but I can make an educated guess.

Numbers to keep in mind: Gross full price is \$30. Stripe fees are \$0.30+2.9%, so Net full price is \$28.83

Gross: \$900

Stripe fees: \$35.1

USPSA Classifier Fees: \$247 (These are so high because we ran a classifier match not a normal match. The match fee was elevated \$5 to compensate)

NW Section Activity Fees: \$38

Net Revenue: \$579.90

RANGE CONDITION - Upon Departure:

Range: Bays were cleared, garbage cans emptied. All targets used were left in the for-practice targets area. (This was my mistake, there were already too many targets there and we didn't tear the targets down. I will be at the range this week to clean that up)

Shack: Trash was walked out to the dumpster.

EQUIPMENT:

Tablets: 10

Timers: 11

Paster dispensers: 20/21 (one of them was not returned. Upon asking in the Facebook group, somebody mentioned it was left at the far safety table by bay 7. I will check this when I stop by)

SAFETY ISSUES: Covid-19 recommendations were recommended as per government guidelines.

1 DQ: A participant discharged their firearm whilst reloading. The bullet impacted the berm. The NW Section has been notified of the member, so they can keep track of DQs and more specifically recurring safety issues by the same people. If these become recurring, those participants will be remanded into required safety training or banned from events in the area.

ANNOUNCEMENTS: New timers were used. They work amazingly. I have to stop by Costco and buy more batteries, as we didn't have enough. Also, I'll spend some time this week with zip ties and some more usb cables to clean out the Safe. With almost 20 old crappy tablets still in there, there's not much space. I will rectify that. Cost for batteries, zip ties, and some more cables should be ~\$50.

Last note: The technology improvements that the Board has enabled us to make in the past month are amazing. All the shooters appreciated the ease of scoring and the data they can see on their performance. Multiple times the phrase "the future is now, old man" was jokingly thrown around as we used Bluetooth to download the timer data to the tablets.

## **Black Rifle League, Aaron Lyons:**

Below I have the following report for Black Rifle League for the February 27<sup>th</sup> event. I'll turn in the check Thursday from the event here for a total of \$900.00

Big things to call out here below the report

- An increase in money turned in
  - Black Rifle League February 27<sup>th</sup> event brought in \$900.00 to the club. This is a sharp increase from the \$630.00 we turned in last month. Black Rifle League is on track to hit its \$1000 goal for an event this year.
  - Food for thought here, three years ago, Black Rifle League was bringing in roughly \$200 a match. The sport has grown by leaps and bounds since then.
- 59 people showed up for the event!  
Participants are NOT bringing hot sidearms
  - Black Rifle League, over its last two events, through the use of social media, emails, and the website, has had no one enter the bays with a hot sidearm in our last two events. This leads to Black Rifle League being able to move through their safety briefing without having to address folks with loaded handguns.
- Online Payment utilization
  - Black Rifle League continues to heavily utilize online payments for its events, with 45-60% of people paying ahead of time. We have noticed that people who do pre-pay ahead of time have a higher tendency to attend versus people who pay at the event.
- Disqualifications
  - We did have two DQ's this past weekend. However, both individuals ended up being disqualified on the very last stage for their fire team at the end of the day. Both DQ's were 180s violations. The Black Rifle League RSO's continue to educate folks that do DQ so that they avoid disqualifying in the future.
- Next Black Rifle League Match
  - Black Rifle League's next event at Renton Fish & Game is scheduled for May 29<sup>th</sup>, 2021.

## **Action Shooting International (ASI), Scott Johnson / Robb Wolfe:**

We had ten shooters show up for the match but no stats or registration (due to the snow), so we did not collect any fees and used steel targets so there were no expenses.

Finished up by 11:30 and everything was locked up at 12:15

A couple people drove in, but I had signs up and they left.

It was quite nice there. Better than rain 👍

## Membership, (Open)

Data as of 03-04-2021

Junior	41
Annual	785
Senior	322
Family	227
Military	24
Life	19
Total	1418

## Treasurer's Report, Aushim Sarkar:

Balances as of 03-04-2021

Account	Balance
Checking	\$15,407.81
Savings	\$455,081.89

### Commentary

January was a slow month at the club, continuing the trend from December. We had a slight increase in revenue, but this was once again a month that cost the club money instead of earning it. There have been no additions to the club savings account again in January as a result of our financial performance. The club recorded \$25,929.03 in revenue and generated a net loss of \$4,389.51 for the month.

### Revenue Report

Our revenue increased by 14.7% from December. Factors that helped this gain were better match revenue including the addition of Precision Rimfire and higher membership fees.

Aushim is still looking at options for moving money out of the savings account. Georgia also has some options that she is exploring.

## Western Washington Range Alliance: Karen Jennings

No new items to report



## **Old Business:**

1. Diana Pinto - Publishing the club's policies and procedures – will address one at a time.

Shared the revised policy for Absentee Ballots for discussion. “I have not addressed the current policy for how we distribute ballots to people who attend the December meeting and will not be addressing/changing it.”

## **Absentee Voting and Ballot Policies:**

Proposal: Absentee ballots for eligible voting members will be made available 2 weeks prior to the December board meeting and must be requested by the member from the rangemaster. Ballots will be sent electronically (email) or mailed at the request of the member and must be returned to RFGC prior to the December board meeting or at the December board meeting (prior to the start of ballot counting). Any ballots received after the ballot count has started will not be included, including those mailed/post-marked prior to the December board meeting.

*MSP* – to accept the process as submitted

Diana felt that this is a good time to discuss another policy/procedure on her list; what to do with members/non-members who are asked to leave the range, how to track it, and what to do with repeat offenders.

Recommend that a subcommittee (working with Glenn and Jim) bring back a policy / process for the board to consider.

Subcommittee to consist of Karen, Diana, Aushim & Aaron

2. Gary's request for a hands-free communication device to be used when operating the tele-handler.  
Complete – Ted provided the equipment.
3. Creating a member only section on the RFGC website (Aushim & Chuck)  
Working on other items

4. Aushim - giving the club the ability to accept electronic payment directly for matches.  
Is piloting it with USPSA
5. Neighbors Concerned trees – LaMarr has had some trees removed and working to remove additional ones (may require a crane). Will send the estimate to the board.
6. Aaron Lyons offered to redo the rifle range orientation video. He was asked to coordinate with Glenn.  
Spoke with Glenn and will put together an outline.
7. Action bay updates – Work began this week to prepare a location for the youth program's storage
8. New internet connection (Chuck)  
March 4<sup>th</sup> update from Comcast: *The construction to deliver Comcast Business services is still underway. Thank you for your patience! We are still pending a permit needed to move forward with the construction. The permit is expected to be received on 5/19/21. We will contact you again when we have further updates and more information regarding the projected date for completion*
9. Proposed 2021 Work Party dates: March 27 or April 24 (USPSA setup days but the only viable options). Revisit this when more COVID-19 information is available.  
Decision was made by the board to not have a work party this year. We will bring in a dumpster in April.  
Diana asked that we post signs noting that there will not be a work party but there are jobs that need to be accomplished. Ted will ask Jim to create the signs.

Items on hold:

1. Action bay upper berm repair, on top of bays 4 and 5 is on hold until next spring (Steve).
2. The facing on the North side of the club house needs repaired and painted (Ted).
3. Install blocks and rack next to bay 7 for lumber storage (Steve)  
Waiting for dry weather and racks

## **New Business:**

1. Safety Items for February:
  - a. Range is following all COVID-19 guidance and practices.
2. Audit request – Georgia will talk to Mike our CPA. Karen will also get estimates.
3. Action bay walls and support stands. Aaron and Dave will coordinate with the other disciplines to build new walls and stands. Also, where they are stored.
4. Karen spoke with Jim and he did not know how to order business cards. There is a local business (Renton Printery) that can print them for us. Karen will give the information to Jim.
5. Sniffing dogs will be coming on May 17 and 18. They will be bringing some small trailers to the range a few days in advance. They will also be coming in Sunday afternoon to set up a small office.
6. Ted has a project for the Monday crew: remove the old sidewalk by the main clubhouse.

## **Good of the order:**

None submitted

**Meeting adjourned at 8:24 PM**

**Submitted by Robert Wolfe, Secretary**